Sunday, August 15, 2021

2 years!

I’m a couple of days late in posting this, but on Aug. 13th I’ve been sober for 2 years. Reaching year 1 had a bit more fanfare, because it was the sign that I could do this. No holiday was strong enough to knock me off the wagon, no sir! And we were in the middle of the pandemic. We still are, to be clear, but not in the middle of a complete lockdown. 

Anyway, this year has been “stay the course,” and it hasn’t felt like an uphill battle, more like biking on a plateau. But as Robin Williams has said about addiction - “it waits.” I am known to draw seemingly incongruous analogies, but that’s what comes to mind when I see the Taliban toppling all the cities and towns that the US led forces took control of 20 years ago, to find and get Bin Laden, who ended up in Pakistan, our supposed “ally.” Anyway, addiction is like the Taliban - all it has to do is sit and wait (like “Islands in the desert,” but that reference is for another time). 

Fighting off addiction doesn’t seem like it’s going to take a trillion dollars of effort, because my brain and my body have already told me that it feels better, and “more of this, please.” Especially the brain - the mental health part. I’m not prone to argue over bullshit, or to listen to every little voice of resentment in my head. Those little bullhorns are still there, ready to be picked up the moment I decide to have a lapse. But I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon. One day at a time everyone! Thanks for all of the love and support!

Going on a bike ride to Treasure Island and back from home, with my pal, Marcos. There will be photographic evidence on the social webs. Peace.

No comments:

How It’s Going, in three Haikus

What I miss these days is a lightness of being Things now seem heavy — jumping from crisis to crisis, duties to cross off on some checklist ...