Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My monthly emusic purchases included the remaining tracks from Panda Bear's Person Pitch and a record called Boxer by the National. This latter record is quite good. Interesting voice, interesting and tasteful use of polyrhythmic guitars, drums, piano, etc. I hesitate to use the word "polyrhythm," as that term immediately conjures up images of the "world" music genre, which I haven't had a lot of success in navigating through (the dreck therein, that is). I guess I'm just an old crank. Anyway, it's a good record and I was pleasantly surprised. It's nice to have that happen with music every now and again. As my attention is moving farther and farther away from keeping current on music, I'll take anything new that I can get with as minimal effort as possible due to my time being necessary to concentrate on other things. Wow, that's loopy syntax, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,

If you like Boxer, check out the National's previous album Alligator. Just note that, as everybody says, it's a "grower". They're also good live, and they're playing in SF Sept 29 with St Vincent, who's also good live. Though it sounds like you're going to be pretty busy around that time...

-- Seth

How It’s Going, in three Haikus

What I miss these days is a lightness of being Things now seem heavy — jumping from crisis to crisis, duties to cross off on some checklist ...