Thursday, December 10, 2009

A convergence of many of my geek-like tendencies: I watched the video of Obama's Nobel Acceptance Speech (lecture) this morning while reading the text as prepared for delivery, and noted the differences between what was written and what he was saying. Later, when I viewed the text of the speech on the New York Times website, I decided I'd copy that version and the original prepared remarks into Word documents and then use the comparison software I have supported for the past 3+ years to compare the differences between the two.

It's an interesting read (for me) trying to guess what changes were ad libbed, what were written as last minute revisions, and what may have been edited by the White House Office of the Press Secretary and the New York Times itself. I first ran the prepared remarks against the New York Times version, and then I ran the White House version against the New York Times version to see if there was any further editing by the New York Times. I found one change: In the last paragraph, the word "depravation" was changed, by the New York Times apparently, to "deprivation." The correct spelling, taken context, is clearly depravation.

I copied all versions into Word files at the time I noticed them. I'll bet some of that will eventually be corrected. I'll spare posting all of those.

But here is the comparison of the original remarks and the official White House transcript.

No comments:

How It’s Going, in three Haikus

What I miss these days is a lightness of being Things now seem heavy — jumping from crisis to crisis, duties to cross off on some checklist ...