Friday, December 19, 2008

This may be counterintuitive, but I am actually ok with Obama picking Warren for the invocation at the inauguration. I mean, for one, he's not picking him for a sermon. It will be like, "let us pray" and maybe a couple of paragraphs praying for the families, yadda yadda. He's not gonna say "I hate fags" or anything like that.

Obama can use this opportunity to neuter some of the wingnuts while hammering another nail in the Wright controversy's coffin, but I think it serves a larger purpose: increasing public scrutiny on Warren which will expose contradictory statements, beliefs, half-truths, and sloppy thought. I think as long as Obama remains magnanimous and somewhat aloof, there won't be too much guilt by association. Hopefully time will fade that. But getting to know the real Warren will hopefully have a lasting positive effect (well, negative for him specifically, but positive for the rest of us). We're seeing some of that already.

No comments:

How It’s Going, in three Haikus

What I miss these days is a lightness of being Things now seem heavy — jumping from crisis to crisis, duties to cross off on some checklist ...