Thursday, March 18, 2004

Interesting word of moderation and caution from Senator McCain this morning. But sadly he is in the minority. To wit:

"I think it's because both parties are going to their bases rather than going to the middle. I regret it. I think there are serious challenges facing America in the form of Medicare, Social Security, health care, deficit spending. And I think we ought to have open and honest debates on those issues,'' said the Arizona senator. If the attacks and counterattacks continue, he said, voters might ultimately tune out.

"I would certainly hope that we could raise the level of this debate,'' he said. "Otherwise we're going to have very low voter turnouts in November.''

On that final point, I'm sure that's what Rove is hoping for. The GOP fares better the lower the turnout is.


No comments:

How It’s Going, in three Haikus

What I miss these days is a lightness of being Things now seem heavy — jumping from crisis to crisis, duties to cross off on some checklist ...